Monday, October 19, 2015

Portuguese and English


Hello! 

How are you all? 

This week was incredibly hot; it also rained and was very cold ... 

This week we did contacting all day, every day, and we know the area really well, as you can imagine. We learned this week we´ll be having interviews with President Silcox soon, and we’re going to the temple in Campinas this month on the 28th! Woot that is a blessing! We’ll be at the temple on your birthday! Doing some temple work will be my present to you (dad).

We also ate very well with our favorite members this week. They made pão de queijo (cheese bread ball dough things) with qoiaba inside, which a fruit that is like unto Heaven. It was so good and I ate too much. 

As I think to myself in English sometimes, because I’m so starved to hear it, I find myself trying to think really philosophically, like I’m very distinguished and scholarly. Ha. I find myself wanting to speak English so much. I understand why Sydney wants to study it. Thai must have been much harder than Portuguese! 

We were doing contacts on a street one day this week when we happened upon a bench to sit for a second. BLESSING. It was extremely hot and we were wishing and day dreaming about swimming and ice and Antarctica and all things cold. We then saw in the distance a small shop. We had to squint to see what it was: we thought we saw a sign that said some sort of oddly familiar word. We looked closer...No! Could it be? We moved closer. Closer still. Good heavens above: Açaí. We did it. We found some close to us! We went in the shop to escape the heat—the shop was one big refrigerator really. We looked at the menu, knowing that we each only had four reais (açaí usually is like 8 reais here in São José, the ice cream that is, not the actual berries). We looked over the menu in the refrigerated store. No...it cannot be! Sweet mother of meat: Açaí for 3 reais?! We instantly bought some. Good day. Açaí. 

This week I did much of my studying reading in Portuguese, which is helping my language tremendously, so I’m going keep doing that. I like the language a whole lot, but I love English so it’s hard to think to myself in Portuguese. I’m doing well with Portuguese, but need to be better. I need to increase my vocabulary. Ha, I’m learning too much slang from our conversations with people. Still, though, I have my goal: think in Portuguese, think in Portuguese. Now, however, as I type this email in English, I realize that is a little difficult for me. Ah, English is so nice. 

I learned a bit this week about humility and about faith and about growing faith. I’ve also thought about pioneers quite a lot this week and the sacrifices they made. I’ve been thinking about gratitude and service. Missionary work is a small way we can give back. I’m learning about preparation and patience, and learning more trusting in the Lord.

We are working hard. Every morning I write “Awake Unto God” in my planner for motivation for the day!

Love you guys! I am praying for you all! 

Elder Walker Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment