Monday, October 5, 2015

Listening and Learning

(l to r)  Manu, Elder Martins, Edlers Monteiro and Miranda, Rogerio, me

Hello!!

This week was quite good, but this letter will be a short one. We enjoyed Conference, and sustained three new Apostles! None of my guesses were chosen; I guess that’s why we have inspired leaders, right? Also, there’s a guy in The District (missionary training series) from Napa? Awesome!

A Brazilian asked me if I were from Brazil this week when I was talking! I’ve developed a Portugal-Portuguese accent, however, thanks to Elder Martins. I speak with sh-sh-s sounds, which is amusing to me.

I did splits this week with Elder G Santos who is from Campinas, Brazil. That’s like if I were called to the Sacramento mission from Calistoga, so he had visited many parts of our mission before he got his call. He sings everywhere he goes, and that is really entertaining. We were talking about our families and I showed him a picture of Sydney and said she studied English, and he asked me, "Why? Is she Brazilian?" We laughed rull hard ha ha. He promptly asked if she was single.

Conference here was at 1pm, 5pm, and the Priesthood session on Saturday was at 9pm -- which we had permission to watch -- we are usually back inside by 9pm if we aren’t teaching a lesson. It was all in Portuguese but I understood much of it. Still working on better comprehension while listening. I did have a great experience listening and learning. Can you send the Ensign with all the talks when it’s out please? One of my favorite humorous moments was when Elder Martins tapped me on the shoulder and asked, "Hey, did James E. Faust speak yet?" I replied, "Yes, like 10 or 15 years ago." He responded, 'Why hasn’t he spoken for so long?" I then explained that James E. Faust had passed away several years ago. Elder Martins looked so puzzled I just busted out laughing, though very quietly because we were in the chapel watching Conference, which made things harder to be quiet ha ha. I also loved the squirrely kids in the choir!

A spiritual thought: This church has ordained Apostles just like Christ’s church that He established during His ministry. We have a living prophet today who acts under the direction of the Lord. Because we have apostles, we have the ability to hear the Lord´s will for his people—for all of us—through their words to us, especially during General Conference. We can hear words of peace and comfort and happiness. We know from Alma 7:11 that Christ knows perfectly how to help each of us because He suffered all of our pains and trials in the Atonement. Because we can hear the inspired words of church leaders that the Lord gives to help us, this is one way we can find direction and comfort our lives. Listen to inspired leaders!

We taught a bunch this week; things here are going well and we are working really hard! I’m eating well and am healthy! I work to be better and learn each day. And each day is a new chance to do that. 

I am signing off my family! I love you dearly and sorry I don’t have more time to write more!
Love you all and I pray for you all the times!!

Elder Hughes 

Like Christmas stockings, but not really
Francesinha at Manu and Rogerio's
We also had mousse ...

No comments:

Post a Comment