Monday, March 7, 2016

Awesomeness in a Pea Pod

Zona São José dos Campos; missing Sisters Feitosa, Cordner and Swindler 

Hello! 

Wild story about Donner Pass and sliding and snow and such things. Zoinks. I would have died a little inside i think if I was the driver haha. Good work to you I say! That is awesomeness in a pea pod.

The streets here fill with water because it rains so much now that it’s winter, but there’s also a bit of sun too. Bummer. I like rain lots.  

This week was super busy for us. This is the last week of the transfer. We’ll be having a baptism this coming Sunday—the last Sunday of the transfer. We’ll get the transfer call Sunday afternoon. I’ve been here in the Zone for a while (there are people who were here, left, and came back already haha) so i think I’ll be leaving. I feel like I’ll leave but then I also feel like I’m going to stay here. I’m going to keep working, that doesn’t change. Gotta keep on keeping on. 

This past week I learned that sometimes when you follow the spirit with regards to one thing, the blessings can sometimes come from a different direction. An appointment fell through because we then were able to go to an investigator’s house who lived nearby. The timing was actually perfect. She had contacted us to let us know she was ready and excited to be baptized, and we were able to go right over and talk with her. I was able to bear my testimony to J. that her decision to be baptized was the best decision she could make now. This taught me that God helps us in all sorts of ways! 

During the Saturday session, President Silcox spoke and talked about missionary work and how our small actions can bring about huge differences in the lives of those around us. For example, Wilford Woodruff taught President Silcox´s great-grandfather the gospel four generations ago, and now President Silcox is helping teach the gospel and serve here as a mission president in Brasil. Awesome stuff. He also talked about the importance of reading the scriptures and enduring to the end. During his talk, President Silcox asked all the 1st generation members of the church there to stand up, and nearly everyone besides elder Amancio and me stood. Crazy to me. Literally, the only ones sitting were Elder Amancio and me. 

The visiting General Authority, Brother Maurício Gonzaga, talked about developing charity and other attributes that we need to become more like the Savior. 

In the scriptures, I’m finishing up 3rd Nephi and will start the New Testament soon—reading in Portuguese. My goal for the year is to read the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and New Testament in Portuguese. Do you have a favorite book in the scriptures or a favorite chapter? I really like John 21, but I feel like a favorite chapter or book in the scriptures isn’t playing fair, right?

I am happy, working hard, and I will keep praying for you all.
I hope you have an awesome week! 

Love you!

Elder Hughes 

Stake Conference with President and Sister Silcox. 
Domingo dia de Conferência! Photo credit: Diogo Jones
Rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment